Essay on Earth for Kids and Students
The earth is our home and third planet from the Sun, in our Solar System. This is the only planet in our Solar system, that has life in it. Earth has been formed over 4 billion years ago and known to have an environment that supports human life. The gravitational force of Earth always interacts with Sun and Moon, the Moon is considered to be the only natural satellite revolving earth. Earth is capable of revolving around the Sun in 365.26 days and is considered to be a year period.
Characteristics of Earth
- The shape of Earth is considered to be Oblate Spheroidal, where it is flattened along its geographical axis. The centre part is bulging outwards and it is considered to be the Equator. Due to this shape the diameter of the equator is larger than that of the pole.
- The Earth is composed of Iron, Oxygen, Silicon, Calcium, Aluminium, Sulphur, etc. And the surface of the Earth, which includes rocks and crust consist of Chlorine, Sulphur, magnesia, potash, alumina, lime, Soda, etc.
- Earth’s gets its internal heat from the residual heat of the planetary action and radioactive activities. The Earth is surrounded by Ozone layer and this reduces the harmful UV rays from penetrating the Earth’s surface, thus subsequently reducing the surface heat.
- The lithosphere, which is the outer layer, is considered to be the Tectonic plates. They form a rigid section, which at times shift its position, thus causing a natural shift in pace.
- Another important feature of the Earth, that supports human life with an abundance of water, which is called as the ‘Hydrosphere’. Due to the availability of water, it is considered to be the ‘Blue Planet’. Almost 70% of the Earth is covered by water.
- The earth’s atmosphere consists of 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen and the remaining 1% constitutes of water vapour, Carbon dioxide and other gas molecules, etc.
- The earth’s climatic conditions support human life and it is not too cold or too hot. The climatic conditions are divided into 4 types which include, ‘Spring, Autumn, Monsoon and Winter’.
- The earth consists of a strong magnetic field, which will be generated from the Earth’s core and extends outwards forming a dipole. This helps to secure the Earth’s content intact. The extent of magnetic field in space is called as the Magnetosphere.
- The earth is said to be slightly towards the right hand side and due to this tilt the amount of sunlight reaching each and every location varies.
- The earth is a combination of Natural resources that supports life.
Even though, Earth provides a protective environment for life to develop, there are also many natural hazards that occur on the surface of the Earth like ‘Tsunami, Earthquake, Volcano, etc.’. In spite of these natural calamities, Earth has developed a lot including human life and Technology. These climatic conditions on Earth have helped a lot with evolution of species into many new forms.