The heart-wrenching tales of discrimination against girl child are neither uncommon not new; in fact, it has existed in our society for thousands of years. A girl child has always been deprived of her very right as a human to get an education, and many, unfortunately, don’t even see the world for they are killed off within the womb of her mother. Does this make you cringe? The thought of female feticide and how she is ill-treated all her life? Well, it exists and is true, but the saddest part being we only want to see it getting better not be the reason for the betterment. There have been so many governments in India since our independence and I’d be lying if I say none tried to help our girls, but it us the “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” programme launched by Narendra Modi which has significantly made all the difference.
What is the aim of this programme?
- This program was launched on January 22, 2015.
- Through this respective Beti Bachao Beti Padhao program, Narendra Modi wanted to raise the awareness of the importance of girl child among people. With rising female infanticide incidences in past, this is an increasingly important program.
- Girls are not only deprived of their right to live but those who live are deprived of education as well.
- To put a stop to this discrimination, The Central Government of India launched this program where all girls under the age of 14 have been given right to free education.
- Since the education is free, the underprivileged girls wouldn’t just be sitting at home doing the household chores but actually educate and learn to earn their own living.
- The Prime Minister believes that a girl is as much capable of doing great things as a boy; in fact, she has greater potential given her inner strength and determination. This can be channelized if a girl is given her chance at education.
Why is it important to save girl child and educate her?
- According to a census of 2011, the girl versus boy ratio had dropped down to 927 per 1000 boys. The difference might seem a mere two-figured number but if you think of its future results, you will be taken off if the grounds.
- If we don’t save the girls now, within next few centuries this ratio might drop down to a couple hundred girls per thousand boys.
- As far as education is concerned, a stronger human is more capable of living a life on his own terms.
- If all women stop being dependent on the males of the society, they can stand up for their rights and actually put a halt to the killing of yet to be born girls.