Essay on Periyar National Park
Essays January 5, 2018 No Comments
Periyar National Park offers a unique experience in the middle of nature’s bounty which has a great diversity of flora and fauna and unseen biodiversity from anywhere else in the world. Located in the heavenly Thekkady in Kerala, the Periyar National Park is one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. This National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary is reserved area for elephants and tigers which are considered to be extremely threatened with extinction.
Where is it located?
- If you wish to visit the Periyar National Park, it will be the best decision you have ever made for its heavenly and unbelievable sightseeing.
- It is situated atop the highest range of Western Ghats which is known for its dense forests, waterfalls, and streams of water everywhere.
- The Periyar National park has a very picturesque sight with a century-old lake exactly within the center if the National Park.
- Its valleys within the hilly mountainous have a dense tropical evergreen forest. This National Park gives the perfect canopy effect for its tall evergreen trees covers the grasslands in every inch.
- Well, this is not the entire National; it also has marshy swampy grasslands around the lake and water streams.
- The semi-evergreen marshy areas are a home to many animal species and insect species which are unique to this place alone.
Flora & Fauna at Bandipur
- Periyar region is filled with a huge amount of Wildlife from reptiles to big cats. It has an uncountable number of species within its premises which are hard to count for anyone. It also has some endangered mammal species, such as Dhole, Langur, Stripe-necked Mongoose, Chital, Grizzled Indian Squirrel, The Flying Squirrel and many more.
- Periyar is not only associated with flora but also green trees and medicinal shrubs. It has Teak, Sandalwood, Rosewood, Indian Kino Tree, Indian Gooseberry, Kadam Tree and much more.
Present day Periyar National Park
- The Periyar National Park is spread in a region of more than 500 sq kilometers. The Western Ghats that surrounds this national park is also host to some exotic wildlife.
- With a pleasant weather of 24°-28° throughout the day and calendar, this is most ideal conditions for the plants and animals existing here.
- An example of its flora and Fauna are- teak, sandal wood, timber, bamboo, Leopard, Golden Jackal, Hyenas, Boars, Antelope and deer, Grey Partridge bird, Indian tree pie, sand grouse, great Indian owl and much more.