Essay on Goddess Lakshmi
Goddess Lakshmi is the wife of supreme god- Lord Vishnu who is the preserver of Hindu Dharma and our Universe. She is the goddess of Wealth and prosperity who is worshipped to be blessed with an abundance of wealth and materialistic goods. It is said that Goddess Lakshmi bestows upon them those who have a high degree of devotion and honest. Not just wealth, Goddess Lakshmi also blesses oneself with good health and positivity. Therefore, whenever one is suffering from a disease, they worship Goddess Lakshmi to evoke them with good health. Regular chanting her names and the holy mantras could bless one with wealth and good fortune. As wealth is one of the key survival elements, Goddess Lakshmi is greatly worshipped.
She is known as the preserver, provider, and nourished by giving the essence of life to her true devotee.
Her origin and birth
- Goddess Lakshmi is said to be a form of the essence of life- The Shakti. According to our Hindu Puranas, Goddess Lakshmi is said to have various incarnations. According to some, her first incarnation was in the form of a daughter to Bhrigu and Khyati.
- In her next and final manifestation, she originated from the mighty waters during the churning of Milky Blue Ocean by Gods and Demons in order to get the Elixir of life- The Amrit. She was then gifted to Vishnu as his consort and a support in his duty of a Preserver.
Incarnations of Goddess Lakshmi
- It is said that whenever Lord Vishnu incarnated on Earth in human form, Goddess Lakshmi takes birth along with him to restore the distorted Dharma.
- She incarnated as Sita when Vishnu came as Rama and Later as Rukmini when Vishnu took the form of Krishna.
- In each and every formation and incarnation Goddess Lakshmi comes forward as the sole supporter of Vishnu in his restoration of Dharma.
Iconography of Goddess Lakshmi
- Goddess Lakshmi is always idolized in images or statues as seated upon an open petaled lotus and also holding two lotuses in two of her four hands.
- Her skin color changes from dark to golden yellow which depicts the color of the sky above us all.
- She is also seen sitting on a water body which depicts her association with it because she was born from within it.
- The remainder of two hands is shown showering gold coins depicting her as a symbol of prosperity and riches.